"You’re not supposed to eat Americone Dream after sex. You’re supposed to eat it during sex. That’s what the waffle cone pieces are for, they’re ribbed for your pleasure.” -Stephen Colbert
As an autistic person, I feel the need to help inform the public, especially on this important Autistic Pride Day.
Please, please DO NOT SUPPORT AUTISM SPEAKS.
Autism Speaks hates autistic people. Autistic people have been treated horribly by this corporation. They have done many, many really shady things that should be brought to public attention, yet they are often seen as the “face” of autism because they are so large. This is a LIE. Autistic people DO NOT want to be represented by Autism Speaks. We do not support Autism Speaks. We do not want Autism Speaks to continually pretend to “help” us while raking in massive corporate profits, that we, disabled people, will never see.
- Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic member on their board.
Autism Speaks only spends 3% of their budget on “family services”.
Much of Autism Speaks’ money goes toward research, and much of that research centers on finding a way to eliminate autism, and thus, autistics (which will likely be done through a prenatal test, in the same way that the Down’s Syndrome test is conducted).
Autism Speaks produces advertisements, small films, etc. about what a burden autistic people are to society.
Autism Speaks was responsible for “Autism Every Day”, which featured a member of their board talking about contemplating murder-suicide of her daughter in front of her daughter. This has now be removed from Autism Speaks’ Youtube channel.
Autism Speaks is responsible for the atrocity known as “I am Autism”, a short film produced by the Academy Award Winning Alfonso Cuaron, who also directed the 3rd Harry Potter movie (yes, really) and features an ominous voice saying things like “I am autism…I know where you live…I work faster than pediatric AIDS, cancer, and diabetes combined…I will make sure your marriage fails.”
This woman’s job offer was rescinded after she asked Autism Speaks for accommodations in caring for her autistic son. They refused, and she made necessary accommodations for childcare, but they withdrew her offer anyways.
Autism Speaks shared the news of Google removing hate speech regarding autistics from Google’s autofill feature, completely erasing any mention of autistic people’s flashblogs having anything to do with the change. It was only after a member of the autism community (and not a parent, but an autistic person themselves) spoke with a reporter about the flashblog and a statement was released to the media that Google decided to make this change.
Autism Speaks highlighted AAC use, while erasing those those who actually use AAC devices to communicate. The focus was on the caretakers, not on the autistic people themselves. (The attached link has a link to a rebuttal by a nonspeaking autistic person, Amy Sequenzia).
Autism Speaks has violated copyright and has profited off an autistic advocate’s writing for three years.Is that not enough? Here, have way more of Autism Speaks dirty laundry that they don’t want you to know about.
- 1 Autism Speaks to Washington press release
- 2 Misuse of donations
- 3 Supporting anti-vaxers
- 4 I am Autism video
- 5 Autism Science Foundation started by ex-AS exec
- 6 Promoting myths
- 7 John Elder Robison
- 8 = 2011 interview with Steve Silberman
- 9 Thoughtless fund-raising
- 10 Peter Bell
- 11 Rants
- 12 Difficult to categorize
- 13 Counter-productive awareness
- 14 Bad statistics
- 15 ΄Stopping Child Abuse “Too Political” for Autism Speaks‘
- 16 Liz Feld, new president
- 17 AutismCares — fraudulent fundraising around Hurricane Katrina
- 18 WrongPlanet takeover by AutismSpeaks
- 19 Autism Speaks discussion of Neurodiversity
- 20 Reports from protests at Autism Speaks Walks
- 21 Lack of representation by autistic people
- 22 Multiple issues
- 23 Social media crisis post
- 24 Non-negative reporting on Autism Speaks
- 25 Can’t load
- 26 Videos
- 27 Responses to the “I Want to Say” video
- 28 Simone Greggs — AS refuses to hire an Autism parent when she asked for accommodations
- 29 Opposing hate and fear based language but not directly calling out Autism Speaks
- 30 Links to additional posts
- 31 Unsorted
Do not donate to Autism Speaks. Do not support them. Educate yourself on why they are so horrible. I like Emma Stone and I like Andrew Garfield, but they are obviously unaware of the horrors that go on behind closed curtains when it comes to Autism Speaks.
Please spread the word and listen to autistic people, not Autism Speaks!
Friendly reminder to NOT support Autism Speaks. These celebrities have good intentions but the organization is not one that deserves support.
omg did u see that ghost
When I saw that and thought it can’t get better
How to feel better about yourself:
1. Sleep without underwear every once and a while, it’s good for you. Maybe even try sleeping naked.
2. Take long baths with tea, ice cream, or whatever you please. Throw in bubbles if that’s your style.
3. Look at yourself like you look at your best friend. Find the freckles you love, what your eyes look best with, what hairstyle compliments your smile.
4. When you look at your naked body in the mirror, only think good things. Say compliments to yourself aloud. Watch yourself smile, and encourage yourself.
5. Take yourself out on a date. Treat yourself to the things you love. You’re alone yes, but there is nothing wrong with that. Remember all the times you were smothered by people and talking crowds, and you only wanted to be alone with yourself.
6. Write yourself a love note. Tell yourself your favorite things about you, and tell yourself all the things you want to become. Tell yourself you’ll love you forever.
7. Take pictures of yourself. Selfies are magnificent! Take 500! Take them everywhere! Find the good lighting! Pick your favorite one and realize what a wonderful work of art you are.
8. Acknowledge your accomplishments, all of them. Got out of bed? It’s hard sometimes and it’s been hard before, so honestly great job. Drink lots of water, and at the end of the day congratulate yourself for staying hydrated. Let yourself know when you are proud, and soak up the feeling of “well done”."
Oh my god.
gurl im gone
i am going to piss myself
oh my fuck.
WhEN yOuR OTP MAKES YOUr hEArt dO THE tinGLY TINgly
one of my favorite things about the rivals-to-lovers trope is when one of them, at the beginning of their relationship, grumbles about how much they hate the other person’s awful face and i sort of cackle to myself like, oh man. you’re going to have it so bad. it’s going to be so great. you are going to love the CRAP out of that awful face. you’ll be composing delicious, pining, sappy sonnets about it. i love it.